Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Arm spasticity while driving

This year I've started trying to place my left arm between the car seat and the door, wedging it in place. This is all trying to stop the irrational bicep spasticity. During the summer it worked fairly well. I would only have to push it back in place when moving around in my seat a lot. Now that winter is approaching I'm lucky if I can get the arm past 90 degrees, and I have to quite often push it back down. There is nothing to hold on down there and even if there was I would never be able to get the fingers extended enough to grab it.

Damnable spasticity. I still blame Dr. William M. Landau and his blasted opinion;

Spasticity After Stroke: Why Bother?

For stopping or slowing down spasticity research.  Is there any way schadenfreude could occur?

5 comments:

  1. But I think what you want is actually karma - yes, Landau should get his. What a pompous, unfeeling jerk.

    Yes, schadenfreude would definitely occur. It would be a party - you and I will provide the booze - at my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget me!!!!!!!!!!!! But make mine a Coke since I haven't had a drink in 30 years.

      Landau should get and suffer spasticity for the rest of his life and see if his opinion changes.

      Delete
  2. I am still harboring hope and accumulating evidence that there is a difference between spasm and spasticity. I have been treating my spasms and my tendons are slowly releasing and my muscles reshaping. An arm or hand with the intense rigidity that you describe is in spasm. My understanding is that spasticity is velocity-induced -- meaning the tension occurs with movement. I plan to blog more about this in the New Year. The medical opinion expressed in this article once again shows a complete lack of understanding of this important difference. These medical types are simply overwhelmed by the hard work and patience it requires to treat us. They lump all the problems together under the wastebasket diagnosis of "spasticity," then throw us away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've given up on getting anything useful from doctors, I think intelligent survivors are much more likely to understand and describe the problem better.

      Delete
    2. There is a huge difference in spasm and spasticity. One of the major differences is the time element involved. For me the spasms can last for hours, but spasticity element is measured in days and weeks of hypertonic muscle spasms to the point of any movement away from the spasm is both impossible and extremely painful.

      Delete