Changing stroke rehab and research worldwide now.Time is Brain! trillions and trillions of neurons that DIE each day because there are NO effective hyperacute therapies besides tPA(only 12% effective). I have 523 posts on hyperacute therapy, enough for researchers to spend decades proving them out. These are my personal ideas and blog on stroke rehabilitation and stroke research. Do not attempt any of these without checking with your medical provider. Unless you join me in agitating, when you need these therapies they won't be there.

What this blog is for:

My blog is not to help survivors recover, it is to have the 10 million yearly stroke survivors light fires underneath their doctors, stroke hospitals and stroke researchers to get stroke solved. 100% recovery. The stroke medical world is completely failing at that goal, they don't even have it as a goal. Shortly after getting out of the hospital and getting NO information on the process or protocols of stroke rehabilitation and recovery I started searching on the internet and found that no other survivor received useful information. This is an attempt to cover all stroke rehabilitation information that should be readily available to survivors so they can talk with informed knowledge to their medical staff. It lays out what needs to be done to get stroke survivors closer to 100% recovery. It's quite disgusting that this information is not available from every stroke association and doctors group.

Friday, January 9, 2015

Why Maintenance of Certification Is Bad for Doctors and Patients

As a patient I can see no reason why I shouldn't expect my doctor to be up-to-date on all the latest.  But read this doctor/apologist for the reasons why this is bad for you. Shit, I'm totally positive that my doctor hadn't read a single research article in the 25-30 years since medical school. I have probably referenced 10-15,000 articles in the last 5 years. I expect all stroke doctors to have at least the knowledge I have, if not better.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1407422#t=article
This statement is f*cking appalling. At least every 5 years at a minimum. I wouldn't see any doctor who hadn't been up-to-date within the last month. Ask your doctor what practices they have changed in the last year and what research triggered that change.
Although some members of the medical community believe that it's not unreasonable to ask physicians to formally document their fund of knowledge every 10 years.

More articles on it although I doubt any of these take a patient view.
The Maintenance of Certification Fait Accompli Position and Why I Reject it
Focus Groups Say MOC Has Little Benefit for Doctors, Patients
MOC and the Physician Quality Reporting game hurts patients, physicians alike
MOC Requirements Don't Benefit Medicine



How the hell do we tell if our doctors are any good? Caveat emptor,  "Let the buyer beware".
That's not good enough for me.

1 comment:

  1. I had the opportunity to keep my RN and paramedic licenses up by taking 20 CEUs a year and sending the documentation into the state for recertification. Mind you, I haven't been in nursing or worked on an ambulance in over twenty years! But still the option was given to me. I didn't.

    I'm lucky in that respect with my neurologist. She keeps current by at least a year. We bounce ideas and research off each other. If I can show her documentation, she'll research it further. Yes, the same standards apply to her as other doctors, but she follows through and keeps abreast of what's new and being tried.

    ReplyDelete